Thursday, July 10, 2008

Rubbing Alcohol as Stove Fuel?

Hello,

My name is ryan and i am 14 years old i have taken an intrest in outdoor survival and camping i watched your video about how to make the UltraLight Stove and found it very resourceful and very useful. Can I use rubbing alcohol in my camp stove?
-ryman3894

Believe it or not, rubbing alcohol has in-trained water in it. It burns very sooty by itself. I have seen people blend it with denatured alcohol with great success... BUT I like to keep it simple. I use straight isopropyl alcohol that can be found either at your local gas station or truck stop. It comes as dry-gas (the yellow HEET bottle is the best) or as the truck stop as brake line dryer. I hope this helps.

Russell

1 comment:

shadowone said...

I think the HEET bottles are actually 100% methanol. But I agree best stuff you can use.